One of the most memorable events for gold in NSW in 1855 came in May that year when the first ever colonial branch of the British Royal Mint was established in Sydney.
Planning for the mint went back to late 1852 / 53 when it was realised that unprocessed gold was increasingly being used as “black market” currency.
Hence from May 1855 onwards regular supplies of gold from the banks, private individuals and the gold escorts were delivered each week to be turned into coin of the realm.
By the following October it was reported that 14,000 oz of gold each week was being processed this way.
Left: “Coin, sovereign, Queen Victoria made by the Sydney Mint, NSW 1855.
Reproduced courtesy Powerhouse Museum Sydney object N6028.