Bungonia is also the gateway to the Bungonia State Conservation Area famous for its beautiful views, bushwalks, rock climbing, abseiling and canyoning.
Bungonia is also the gateway to the Bungonia State Conservation Area famous for its beautiful views, bushwalks, rock climbing, abseiling and canyoning. The lookouts are easily accessable(including wheelchair access) and a range of walking tracks cater to all fitness levels. The Bungonia caves system were discovered in 1829 by William Shelley.The Bungonia Park stretches along Woodward and Bungonia Creeks within the village boundaries. The many tourists who visit the area use the picnic tables and BBQs and the site is a common meeting place for various groups.
The Bungonia district was settled by Europeans in the early 1820s, little more than 30 years after Governor Phillip landed at Port Jackson. The village plan, drawn up in September 1832, replaced the earlier plans for a settlement at Inverary and included provision for a recreation area, schools, churches, a courthouse and other public facilities associated with a major centre.
Most of the inhabitants were convicts, ex convicts or ticket of leave men and women working on four or five big properties. As the area developed and other settlers came, the village progressed and various small businesses were established to service the district. Butchers, carriers, shopkeepers, sawyers, stonemasons are some of the listed occupations in the census and the Post Office Directories. The school, post office, shop, hotels and the two churches operated from a very early date.
The discovery of a “rich and extensive gold field” in the Shoalhaven River near the township of Bungonia was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald in July 1851. A sample of the gold sent to Goulburn to be tested was pronounced to be “first-rate pure gold”.