Stockinbingal is a small village of approximately 250 Residence, situated on the Burley Griffin Way, 410 Kilometres South of Sydney.
The Village is in the County of Bland Shire of Jindalee and is controlled by Cootamundra Shire Council.Stockinbingal is primarily a farming community producing wheat, canola, cereal crops, sheep, wool, fat lambs and cattle. There are also small orchards of olives, almonds and cherries.The Bland Creek runs from south to north at the edge of the village but is not a permanent watercourse.The main street, Hibernia, comprises eight commercial buildings, a railway station and Bowling Club.Stockinbingal has maintained its architectural integrity and remains virtually untouched since Federation. Its former commercial buildings remain intact as prime examples of the Australian vernacular style.Designed in 1881 in lieu of the village of Yeo Yeo which was designed in 1860 but never built, Stockinbingal was proclaimed a village on March 20th, 1886.Current operating businesses consist of a Cafe / Newsagency, Museum / Antique Store, Hotel, Post Office, Bowling Club, Police Station and Freight Railway Station.
Buildings and Places of Interest
Stockinbingal Cemetery, Geralda Street – Rare Plants and Endangered Bird.
The cemetery contains a rare and valuable remnant of grassy grey box, yellow box woodland.
The grassy understorey contains a range of native grasses, herbs and wild flowers.
This site is part of the Grassy Box Woodlands Conservation Management Network.
For further information contact Cootamundra Shire Council on 02 402100 or call in to the Council offices.
Endangered Bird, The Grey crowned Babbler can be found here, plus migratory birds such as the Superb Parrot (December) and Dollar bird (November to December) .
AWB. Wheat Terminal and Rail Loop – Burley Griffin Way – Telephone 02 69431633
Situated on the western Outskirts of the village this recent construction handles 100,000 tonnes of wheat, canola and barley grains for export and domestic distribution.
Forty carriage Trains are filled by 1500 tonne overhead rail bins in under two hours at a rate of 1000 tonnes / hour.
Stockinbingal Railway Station, Hibernia Street, Telephone 02 69 431416.
Opened in 1893 servicing the Temora & Cootamundra line.
In 1912, the Forbes line was commenced .
The Timber railway station is one of over 400 such stations built throughout country NSW of which less than twelve survive.
It is operated by manual signals and is an important line for wheat transport from the central west and freight from Western and South Australia.
Former Bank of NSW, Hibernia Street, Federation 1915. Anecdotal remarks that may be of Hardy Wilson design.
Former Stockinbingal Hotel, Martin Street, Circa 1888. Remodelled 1911, de-licensed in 1934 and now a private dwelling.
Former Court House — Hoskins Street, Date unknown.
St James Anglican Church, Dudauman Street, 1910.
Commercial Hotel, Martin Street, Federation – 1911.
Former Cohens Trade Palace, Hibernia Street, Federation/Interwar Circa 1906 ?1917.
Cafe / Newsagency, Hibernia Street, Federation/Interwar 1908.
Former Begleys Store, Hibernia Street, Federation. Originally 1893-converted to double shop’ in 1917.
Former Bakery, Hibernia Street, Federation circa 1912-1914.
Former Butchers residence, Hibernia Street, Victorian late 1890’s.
Former Stock & Station Agent, Hibernia Street, Federation 1909.
Commercial Hotel – 32 Martin Street – Telephone 02 69431472. Accommodation: 6 D/B, 8 single rooms. Shared bathroom facilities. ATM, Takeaway meals. Thursday to Sunday, 5pm to 9pm. Very reasonable rates.
Stockinbingal Cafe / Newsagency – Hibernia Street – Telephone 02 69431426. Open 7 days. Takeaway meals.
The Derivation of the work Stockinbingal
The Origin of the word Stockinbingal is uncertain. The Wiradjuri Aboriginals, one of the biggest Language groups in New South Wales, use the word Tockinbingie as a name of the district in their dialect Bingie means a marsh “Tocum” Deep Water Hole,”Bingara” was a creek and “Bimbal” meant a white flowering Box Tree. It is presumed that these were fused into a composite word Tockinbingie meaniing a Creek lined with Flowering Box Trees, with deep holes and marshes.The Sibilant hissing sound of “S” does not occur in Aboriginal Dialects and it is presumed that the “S” was added to Stockinbingie by a Surveyor or Cantographer when the first Maps were made of the District.Mentioned in the Government Gazette in 1848 of the first Lease of Land to James Matheson makes reference to “the portion known as Stockanbingel”. In 1852 a verification from lease was notified “no 65 Tockinbindyal, 40 Chains East of Mathesons Hut at Tockinbindyal”.Perhaps Clerks in the Lands Department simplified the matter and a cognate name emerged, Part English, Part Aboriginal, meaning stock in the Water becoming a permanent name stockinbingal.The tiny township of Stockinbingal is located on the South West Slopes of New South Wales, midway between Cootamundra and Temora and 426 km from Sydney via the Hume Highway.Stockinbingal is a small settlement comprising one hotel, a takeaway cafe (in the old Bank building) a few shops, a post office and a small population of 250.The area around Stockinbingal was first settled sometime before 1848 but the village of Stockinbingal was not proclaimed until 1885. By the turn of the century the village had grown to become a significant service centre for the surrounding pastoralists who concentrated their attentions on wheat and sheep. There was a bank, a pub, a blacksmith, a doctor and dentist, and numerous small businesses. There was even a local photographer.The local hotel was built in 1892 to cater for the Cobb & Co coaches which used the village as a stopover on their journeys from Harden to Temora. The following year the branch line from Cootamundra to Temora was completed and the town became an important railhead. In the years that followed the town grew rapidly and so, in 1893, a local police station was established and the local school was opened in 1894.Undoubtedly the most interesting hotel in the region was that at Dinga Dingi which played host to bushrangers and Cobb & Co at various times. To get to Dinga Dingi take the Milvale road at the western end of Stockinbingal.James Troy opened the Dinga Dingi (originally spelt Dingy Dingy) Hotel in late 1879 to take advantage of the Scrubyards goldrush. But Dinga Dingi (which was the legal spelling of the settlement) goes back much further than that. On 22 June 1859 Catherine Dacey purchased 320 acres for £320 at Yeo Yeo Creek (now known as the Bland Creek).By 1865 the homestead had a publican’s license and was known as the Shamrock Inn. The bricks for the Dinga Dingi Hotel were made just 300 m away on the creek and all the nails were hand made. Bushrangers frequented the old hotel and one of the doors was holed by a bullet allegedly fired by one of them.All that remains of the Scrubyards settlement now are two graves, some broken china and rusted tin. Yet at the end of 1879 there were as many as 1400 men on the goldfield with the usual facilities – butchers shop, general store etc. There was a lack of water on the field and by February 1880 (only 9 months after the initial rush) people were leaving the area.By March 1880 things were so bad that one account reported: ‘We are at present dull…nothing to enliven us not even a fight. We have no money to get drunk…the butcher must see us through now…in one hotel a notice is posted in the public room announcing that all drinks are to be paid for on delivery.’ The Scrubyards field closed completely in 1881.The first bank in Stockinbingal was the Bank of New South Wales which set up an agency in 1907 and eventually built on the corner of Hibernia and Martin Streets in 1921. The premises were closed in 1974. It has recently been converted into a cafe/takeaway. The Commonwealth Banking Corporation (CBC Bank) was initially opened in October 1912 in portion of a building located at 15 Troy Street Stockinbingal. The bank later purchased a block of land for new premises at 22 Martin Street. The bank was temporarily located at 14 Martin Street and the new premises was completed in 1913.The bank closed on 31st March 1941. The original bank building is still in use today as a residence.